Competition Rules (Isle of Man Schools Only)
- All entries shall be accompanied by an entry form which must state clearly the full details requested of the entrants and be signed by a parent, guardian or teacher as applicable.
- Individual pupil entries shall not display the name, age or school of the entrant. They will be identified by the title of the work which will also be provided on the entry form.
- Primary class entries shall be assessed by a visiting judge or judges from the IOM VicSoc. The judges will expect to be able to see the individual pupil contributions clearly and be able to read written details on the display.
- Secondary school individual pupil entries shall be typed with normal line spacing and preferably be between 2500 and 4500 words long, plus illustrations if required. The document should be submitted in preferably electronic PDF format or printed using an A4 page layout preferably with 2.5cm margins.
- The judge’s decision is final.
- The Isle of Man Victorian Society reserves the right to withhold a prize or prizes if in the judge’s view the standard of entries is of insufficient merit to warrant the award, or if there are too few a number of entrants for a particular category.
- Entries must be posted or submitted to the specified email no later than mid-night on Friday 24th May 2019.
- Winners will be invited to attend a presentation ceremony which may receive media coverage and the Isle of Man Victorian Society reserves the right to reproduce the winning entries.
- The Isle of Man Victorian Society will own the copyright of all winning entries and may use them in the future at their discretion without further permission. Should the competition be cancelled then ownership of all entries shall revert to the entrants.
Competition Time Period
The competition will run from Monday 4th March 2019 to the closing date of Friday 24th May 2019 (12 weeks).
Age Range and Prizes (Competition is open to pupils of Isle of Man schools only).
The competition will be staged at class level for primary school pupils with the following prizes:
Primary school: (Years 5-6): 1st: £150.00 2nd: £100.00 3rd: £50 - vouchers (book) to the school
The winning school will also hold the Victorian Society Jonathon Green Trophy for one year.
The competition will set up for individual secondary school pupils, with the following prizes:
Secondary school: (Years 7-9) 1st: £150.00 2nd: £100.00 3rd: £50 – cheques to individual winners
Secondary school: (Years 10+) 1st: £175.00 2nd: £125.00 3rd: £75 – cheques to individual winners
For full information Schools in the Isle of Man should contact Jo Callister at the DESC who is distributing Teachers Notes and Starter Guide Sheets to assist pupils and staff.
Educational Improvement Services, Advisory Teacher for the Manx Curriculum
Rheynn Ynsee, Spoyrt as Cultoor, (Department of Education, Sport and Culture)
Hamilton House, Peel Road, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 5EZ
The entry form can be found here.
Site Copyright Statement © 2011-2019 Robert W Stimpson